Thanks to all who have been reaching to see if we’re impacted by Hurricane Dorian’s projected path.
And, indeed.. we most probably will be.
Our blog/video travel series is always a bit behind due to how much effort they take to produce these days. Last we left you, we were arriving to Savannah – but that was back in June.
We actually continued north from there and spent an amazing month in Charleston.
And we had it in our mind that we might find a reputable boat yard to take care of some general maintenance (engine service, bottom paint, etc) for the peak of hurricane season.
When my mom had some medical stuff come up, that set the course in motion. We returned to Savannah to a yard we connected with who had open space to store Y-Not for the season, ability to haul out in case of a storm and attend to our project list.
So in early August we doubled back to Savannah, got Y-Not settled in, consulted with the crew and then took off in the new conversion van to Florida to be with my mom for a couple of weeks (she’s doing well).
We just returned to Savannah mid last week when Dorian’s path emerged and the threat targeted the eastern coast. On Friday, the yard let us know they had received instructions from corporate that no boats would be on the docks – and asked if we wanted to haul.
We’ll take it as serendipity’s invitation to accept the offer – and Y-Not was hauled and secured on land over the weekend.
We’ll be in their long term service area so that, assuming all is well after the storm – we can take advantage of already being on land to handle the below water line service items.
We’ve been busy these past few days moving off the boat and back in to van for likely the remainder of at least peak hurricane season.
With a mandatory evacuation issued for the Georgia Coastline in preparation of the storm’s arrival (hopefully) offshore – we have moved ourselves inland.
We are out of the storm’s projected impacts – but are at the ready to continue moving if necessary.
We’re of course extremely anxious and concerned – not just for Y-Not’s well being, but my mom and friends also in the path. She’s in Melbourne, FL – and is staying in the area to be with a friend. The Space Coast is up next after a devastating blow to the Bahamas.
So, now we wait to see the outcome. At present time, the most concerning impacts for the Georgia coastline are storm surge and tropical force winds. But little shifts could make a huge impact as Dorian resumes speed after stalling out.
We’re on edge, but not nearly as much as 2-years ago when we left Y-Not secured in Marathon for Irma.
We’ll proceed as needed from here.
Thanks again for your concern and safe wishes. And wishing you and yours in the storm’s path the best possible outcome.
A quick video update we also just put out:
Sept 5 Update: Hurricane Dorian passed by the Savannah area yesterday and overnight – remaining offshore. Y-Not encountered tropical storm force winds as anticipated, and there was minimal storm surge. Our remote monitoring cameras and the yard’s manager both indicate that Y-Not did great in the storm (as did all other vessels). Whew. My mom also ended up with minimal impacts.