Many times we’ve been asked ‘So, do you have a pattern you follow each year?’
See if you can detect a pattern here:
- In the beginning of 2007, right after new-nomad Chris and I met – we stayed in my Florida home as I prepared my life to hit the road with him. We spent the winter taking week-long trial runs in his T@b trailer. Come spring .. we starting modifying the trailer to support us both and me crazily purging to get my stuff dwindled down to fit in a small box. We hit the road together on May 10.
- In the beginning of 2008, we had just returned from 7-months on the road back to my Florida home. I needed a major surgery, so it was good the house never sold and I had a comfortable place to recuperate. Come spring, we shifted focus to custom ordering our Oliver Travel Trailer and getting the house sold. We hit the road again in mid-June.
- In the beginning of 2009, we took a fun temporary gig helping a iPhone app start-up company launch their new product at MacWorld, which involved a lot of social media outreach and orchestrating a roving party around the streets of San Francisco on a double decker bus with live DJs. Lots of crazy fun, and the gig kept us stationary. Come spring, we hit the road eastward.
- In 2010, well, we didn’t follow any pattern here.. we were all over the place, including spending the winter in St. Louis in zero degree temps.
- In the beginning of 2011 we were in the middle of our winter in the US Virgin Islands. Come spring, we returned to the mainland and started our vintage bus hunt.
- In the beginning of 2012, my father’s cancer had just returned and we stuck around Florida to be near my parents as his treatments started. Come spring, when things were looking stable – we hit the road for the summer.
- In the beginning of 2013, my father’s cancer turned terminal and we were again based in Florida to be near my parents. Come spring, he peacefully passed away.. and here we are again, gearing up to hit the road.
Except for one year, we have a tendency to hunker down in an area for the winter and hit the road again come spring! And quite often, wintering in Florida.
None of that was planned and nor was it based on following the weather. It’s just the way it worked out, and that’s the way we like it!
Right now, we’re thinking we’ll be pulling up stakes at our spot in Melbourne sometime mid-next week.. and starting a meander towards Portland, Oregon. Except for passing through St. Louis sometime in mid-May – the route is mostly unplanned.
Got ideas, invitations or potential rendezvouses for us?
Live Video Chat Invitation!
Join us this Wednesday evening at 9PM EST (6PM PST) for our next live video chat.
We’ll be revealing the secret nomadic recipe you know we’ve been hiding from you, as well as our secret Chocolate Mandarin Orange Guacamole recipe. There will also be a Q&A. Just join our UStream channel at the appointed the time to take part.