Taking a break from the nomad posts to insert a little tech into the mix…
A week or so ago I was buzzed over Skype by my friend Ewan Spence, an award-winning podcaster, Cthulhu tamer, and kilt wearing international man of mystery.
Ewan asked me if I’d like to be his guinea pig first interview for a new podcast concept he was trying out – “Room 404“.
The format of “Room 404” is that in each episode, a notable geek will present five bits of technology that used to be awesome, but which have since become lost to history and mostly forgotten. The name comes from the “404 error” that you get when visiting a web page that no longer exists.
To make a game of it, the goal is to convince the host which old tech is cool enough to be brought back from obscurity and out of Room 404.
Here is what I presented:
- The Commodore Amiga – My first digital love. I still have my dear sweet Amiga 1000 stored away in its original box. Never before or since has there been a single computer that was as groundbreaking in so many ways.
- wuarchive.wustl.edu – In the early 90’s Wuarchive was rumored to generate 10% of the traffic on the entire Internet. And I had the entire archive literally at my fingertips with faster access to it than anyone else on earth.
- Ricochet Wireless Modem – Listen to the podcast for the story of how I used a Ricochet to constructed a VAN (Van Area Network) to get my puzzle hunt team online from a moving vehicle. Nowadays we all have Google in on the phones in our pocket, but back in 1999 this was like magic. We barely even had Google back then!
- The Tapwave Zodiac – The most awesome handheld gaming system on earth, until the Sony Playstation and Nintendo DS squashed it from both sides at once.
- Fossil’s Wrist PDA – A Palm-Powered watch, and it was geeky stylish too!
It was a LOT of fun to dredge up some of the favorite tech from my past, and it is always a blast to chat with Ewan.
You can listen to the premier episode of “Room 404” here. *grin*
What bits of old tech would you want to retrieve from the mythical room 404???