Traveling around the USA, you likely have had some of the same experiences we have…
- You pull into a new state, decide it’s a good night for a beer, and assume you can stock up at a grocery store. You search and search, only to find none for sale… or that you can’t buy any alcohol on a Sunday… or that what is sold in stores is not ‘real’ beer… Frustrating!
- You’re sitting at a red light, waiting to make a left from one one-way street onto another. There’s no traffic… but is it legal to make a left on red? It is your home state, but what about here?
- You stop to handle some major shopping chores, and only later realize that you could have saved substantially by driving another 50 miles down the road into a state with substantially lower sales tax, or even no sales tax at all…
- You’re traveling through, and just need a place to stop over for the night to catch a snooze. Is it legal to overnight in this state’s rest areas? What about the next?
- You get a text message on your phone while you’re driving – is it legal to read and return it in this state?
- And so on…
As we’ve traveled, we’ve been struck by the sheer number of variations in state laws and regulations that affect us as travelers. We’ve noticed major state-to-state differences in everything from gun carry laws, public smoking bans, towing laws, alcohol laws, gas and diesel taxes, special time zone rules, helmet laws, leash laws and much more.
It’s amazing how much stuff can change right under your nose when you cross a state line.
So we decided to solve our own problem by compiling all this information into one easy-to-access place, in the process developing our first iPhone application.
State Lines is the result of several months of development effort and extensive research, and today we’re proud to announce it is available for purchase in Apple’s iTunes app store at an introductory price of just $2.99.
Currently State Lines tracks over 50 pieces of travel relevant information for each of the 50 states; including vehicle gun carry laws, state sales tax, time zones, towing & RV specific laws, gas/diesel taxes, rest area overnight parking rules, default speed limits, alcohol sales laws, smoking bans, open container laws, state park camping entrance fees, pet leash laws, bicycle and motorcycle helmet laws, cell phone & texting bans, left hand turn rules, and more.
State Lines is location aware, so it can automatically show you information about nearby states. The entire State Lines database is integrated into the application, so State Lines works even when you are out of cellular or WiFi coverage..
State Lines is a growing project, and we welcome feedback and ideas of other useful state specific information to include in future versions.
We are really proud of our first iPhone application. It is a unique and genuinely useful tool. Please check it out, and spread the word!