With our arrival to Jacksonville, we consider this 2018 Great Loop cruising season to be a wrap.
When we set off from Miami in April, we had intentions of making it to the Chesapeake by summer to escape hurricane season.
But fatigue from the months prior building up from Hurricane Irma, the submerged channel marker incident and a rapid RV trip to Texas caught up with us.
When we got to Ft. Pierce for a month long stay and took on a remodeling project that drug on – we knew getting that far north was just not in the cards for us. We were too exhausted, and just craving taking things slower.
We instead settled into a nice rhythm of cruising for a couple weeks and then finding a longer stay.
Sanity was regained after a couple weeks in New Smyrna Beach. We had time to let life catch up to us… finally.
We decided to take a gamble on hurricane season again by being in the prime zone, and set aim to head inland up Florida’s St Johns River for the peak of season.
We consider our arrival to Ortega Landing in Jacksonville to be the transition point between our Great Loop cruising season this year, and embarking on a side trip.
So from April 3 when we left Miami to August 16 when we pulled into Ortega Landing, we added 362.8 nm to our Great Loop mileage book for a total of 709.8 – we’ve now completed about 12% of the official loop path.
Yup, at this rate – we’re looking at a decade to complete the loop.
Eh, who cares. We’re having a blast!
To commemorate our 2018 Great Loop season, we just put together all of our time lapse video compressing over 60 hours of cruising into a mere 30 minutes. This takes you from leaving Miami to entering the St. Johns River in Jacksonville.
It’s all just tranquil relaxing cruising video – no talking. So grab a tasty beverage and sit back and join us for this cruise:
Here’s all of the individual travelogues segments from this year:
- Rendezvous in Jacksonville – Tides & Currents and a Rescue!
- Having a BALL in St. Augustine, Florida
- Oh No!! Bridge Closed – And Exploring Marineland, Florida
- One Week Turns to Five in New Smyrna Beach, Florida
- Cruising the Space Coast – Melbourne to New Smyrna Beach
- Ft. Pierce to Melbourne with Mom Aboard!
- Two Months in Ft. Pierce, Florida – Causeway Cove Marina, Tackling Boat Projects & Enjoying ‘City Life’
- Continuing North up the ICW – Boca Raton to Ft. Pierce & the MTOA Southern Rendezvous
- Leaving Miami in the Rear View – Heading North up the ICW!
- Leaving Miami and Resuming our Great Loop Cruising Season for 2018!
- Miami the Hard Way – Boat Haul Out, Repairs & Living On the Hard
We intend to pick the Loop back up in Spring 2019 after we return from our RVing winter.
We are presently a week into our St Johns River cruise after a 2 month stay at Ortega Landing. And let me tell you.. it’s AWESOME! We can’t wait to share this one with you!